Sunday, August 21, 2005

my own reality

Is it possible to think I would or do behave in a certain way in a given situation, when I really behave in another way altogether? I mean, I can really believe something about myself, but maybe it's not even reality - for instance, the question in a personality test that reads "When someone is coming over, do you make sure your house is absolutely clean?" In my mind, I think "yes, yes I do." In actuality, no, I don't. I don't make sure my house is completely clean. I would want it to be clean; in fact, I always want it clean, and I am always cleaning it seems, but nothing is ever clean or clean enough. (Cleaning is one of my obsessions for which I take medication; it seems that even if I can get rid of the compulsions, my obsessions are still there.) So how would I answer this question? Yes, I make sure everything is clean? Even though I don't? I am totally positive that I would, provided I actually had space to store all my belongings, but since I don't have enough room, there is no point where everything is all put away. I would also need an infinite amount of time to get everything clean, because I clean everything so thoroughly and detailed that it takes forever. But back to my first question - what if I believe things about myself in my head that don't necessarily pan out that way in reality? I know I'm an obsessively clean person, but you'd never know that by looking at my apartment. What if everything is like that? What if I know I'm smart, but other people don't see it that way? Or competent? Or responsible? What if I'm analyzing everything way too much and no one else even notices these things? What if I'm too conscious of my conscious thoughts and I end up driving myself insane?

Main Type
Overall Self
Take Free Enneagram Personality Test

4 Comments:

Blogger GTX said...

I agree!
A test could simply prove gross errors. For instance, if you ask two persons the same question "Have you eat chicken?" and one of them say no, you get an average number of half chicken to each person...
(Where's the chicken? Tum tum
Whe...Whe...Where's the chicken? Tum Tum)

8/22/2005 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger Robin Alexa said...

All I can say is word.

I think like this all the time.

When people say "The person is SO smart." Wouldn't they have to be smart to judge the intelligence of others?

8/22/2005 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger SS said...

i completely understood all of that and i know where you are coming from. funny, i have a cleaning OCD. my anti-depressants help me not freak out as much as i used to though.

i always over analyze and i think it has driven me insane. but i kinda like here, in my insane world ;)

8/22/2005 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I think the main thing to remember is that we are living in a planet of psychotic people, who are going to judge you based on all the weirdness that has occurred to them before they ever met you.

If you are this self analytical, then you probablyunderstand yourself better than most people who don't even try to understand themselves.

10/10/2005 10:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Blogarama - The Blog Directory