Saturday, April 30, 2005

I'm going to Honduras!

I'm going to a small island called Roatán off the North coast of Honduras for a week at the end of May, to volunteer in a clinic in a poor town. I'm so excited! I've never done anything like this before, but I've always wanted to. Everything came up so quickly - my boyfriend decided the other day that he wants to go, as it will look good on his med school applications which he will begin doing in June - and I decided I wanted to go with him. I've never really even been out of the country before, except to Canada, but that doesn't really count. I know traveling to other countries and seeing other cultures really changes ones's perspective on life and stuff, and I am very open to this type of thing; I'm really interested to see other ways of life. I'm also very happy I will go and be able to help people, even if just for a week.



The prospect of taking a million pictures in another country in a setting in which I've never been also really excites me. I know it will be like nothing I have yet experienced. Also really cool is how this island we'll be staying on is appparently well known for their excellent scuba diving - how awesome is that? I love swimming, I love water, I love fish, I love diving and snorkeling...this is going to be so much fun! I guess there's even a lot of dolphins in the area, so you can potentially be swimming and playing with dolphins! You know, just like in that South Park episode... o/`if I could swim with the dolphins...the soft and gentle dolphins...o/`

Here are some details about Honduras that I took from this site:
Long an important center for the Maya culture, Honduras was first colonized by Europeans in the early 16th Century.

Decades of wars with the indigenous Indians followed. The Spanish finally took control, merging it with Guatemala, and eventually, with Mexico. Then, in 1838, Honduras gained its independence.

Its turbulent past of military coups and corruption are hopefully gone forever, as a democracy is now in place, and its transformed Honduras into a safe, welcoming country.

Like all Central American countries, Honduras is hot and humid throughout the year, with some moderation in the inland highlands.

Its ancient ruins, beaches, rain forests and mountains are all impressive, and when combined with its friendly people, Honduras is growing in popularity as a travel destination.

The Bay Islands 40 miles off the northern coastline (especially Roatan), offer some of the finest diving and snorkelling venues in the Western Caribbean.


I'll of course post more information as I find it out. I hope I don't get some kind of awful disease!

+ + + +

13 Comments:

Blogger mcgibfried said...

that is kick ass.. i wish that i too was traveling to a forign land!

4/30/2005 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Thanks you guys! I'm super excited!

5/01/2005 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

Very kicking!
Bring back pictures, and stories.
Always wanted to do that part of the world, someday ... someday.
No doubt the locals will tell write stories of your travels.

5/01/2005 03:03:00 PM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

I'll definitely bring back lots of pictures and post them here for all to enjoy.

Speaking of pictures, I'm still debating whether or not to put my own up here...I'm concerned about stalkers, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

How awesome would it be if I became a Honduran legend?

5/02/2005 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger floatingwild said...

i am already stalking you..so you have nothing else to worry about! ~about honduras-- that is so fucking cool! i went to guatemala in 1998 and it was so beautiful. i do hope you take lots of pictures and find desolate beaches to lay out nude:)

5/02/2005 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Ooh, nude sunbathing...sounds fun, but I'd have to wear lots of sunscreen - my Northern European heritage has made me pretty white. ;)

5/02/2005 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Oh, and quki - it's okay if you stalk me, but no one else!

5/02/2005 04:32:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy Cunningham said...

you will eat SO MUCH beans and rice.

like, seriously. beans and rice, and that is all, all the livelong day. you might wanna prepare your digestive system for the upcoming onslaught.

5/03/2005 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Oh, god, that is SO awesome. I am so utterly jealous. Not only to go somewhere exotic and cool, but to help the area people too - that's fantastic.

Can I come???????

AMG

5/04/2005 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger Uneasy Rider said...

Prostitution is legal in Honduras. And try not to get busted for pot while you're down there.

5/04/2005 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger SS said...

that is so fucking cool! i'm so excited for you!

5/05/2005 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Wow, I feel so loved!

No, it is generally not okay to stalk me, unless you have prior permission. FistingChamp, I give you permission, so long as there's no fisting involved.

5/07/2005 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

cmdrslappy - I'm cool with the rice and beans...I just don't want to eat any sketchy meat. I don't even eat meat here in the U.S., so I definitely don't want to eat anything weird in another country.

Anonymous Midwest Girl - you can totally come if you want to! You just have to buy your own plane ticket...once we get there, it should be pretty cheap. And then we can help people all we want while roaming around a foreign country in the Caribbean Sea!

5/07/2005 04:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Blogarama - The Blog Directory